“Cultural Competence is a continuous learning process that builds knowledge, awareness, skills and capacity to identify, understand and respect the unique beliefs, values, customs, languages, abilities and traditions of all Ohioans in order to develop policies to promote effective programs and services.”
Statewide endorsed definition
What is MACC?
The Multiethnic Advocates for Cultural Competence (MACC) is a statewide nonprofit membership agency aimed at the reduction of health disparities in Ohio’s health systems. Ohio faces a number of disparate health outcomes that are the result of a lack of knowledge and understanding about the diverse racial and ethnic populations being served. MACC is equipping providers and systems with the necessary tools and best practices to enhance their delivery of care.
Why is Cultural Competence Important?
Ohio's Changing Demographics
- Ohio’s foreign-born population was 13.1% in 2014, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
- 20.9% of families speak a language other than English at home.
- Central Ohio has the second largest Somali population in the United States behind Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- More than half of the nation's children are expected to be part of a minority race or ethnic group by 2018.
- The United States is projected to become a majority minority nation for the first time in 2050.
Ohio’s health care system actively provides culturally competent practices and interventions that will lead to optimal outcomes for individuals who seek services provided by these systems in the State of Ohio.
To enhance the quality of care in Ohio’s health care system and to incorporate culturally competent models of practice into the systems and organizations that provide services to Ohio’s diverse populations.
- Sponsoring Lectures, Conferences and Educational Sessions concerning issues of cultural competence and other contemporary issues
- Researching cultural competency practices, standards and providing this information through our Resource Library
- Partnering with systems and organizations to help them assess and improve their level of cultural competence
- Identification and development of cultural competence: assessment tools, trainers, and training curricula throughout the State of Ohio